Under The Broadfork

IMG_20150202_121509 IMG_20150202_121648Well despite the flipping freezing conditions today, it’s sort of felt like the beginning of the season, hurrah – because I cleared out the celery and salad from Fivepenny tunnel, ready for drilling some early rocket, spinach and beetroot in one half, and carrots in the other. I bought a De Wit broadfork a week ago, to loosen up the paths in the tunnels and relieve some of the compaction there; and I might try it in the compacted parts of the field too. It’s so difficult trying to find tools for small scale farms and market gardens thought – everything is either for gardens, or for beefy tractors – there’s not much on offer in between. It’s such a massive gap in the market too…

IMG_20150202_131724
Sandy clay below the darker compost-rich topsoil
IMG_20150202_132023
Broadforked pathways

I did find another broadfork with longer tines on offer, but it was more expensive and I wasn’t sure that the extra length would make enough difference to justify the expense. I’ve also seen a few useful videos and diagrams of designs, and more broadforks for sale in the USA which, if I was a welder or woodworker, would be bobbins to make. Hmm, maybe one day… It’s difficult enough trying to keep on top of easy maintenance for my Howard 300 rotovator – I took off the starter handle section today since the pull cord has been getting slower and slower, and now pulls out and stops altogether after the winter break. So I thought I’d take the whole piece off and give it a good clean, as it feels like there’s just a lot of greasy sandy soil in there stopping the cord retracting; but a load of springy metal popped out as I was taking it apart (seems obvious now that that’s how the retraction worked!), and I now have to work out how to out it together again, doh…

IMG_20150202_134534 IMG_20150202_140027Today I also managed to bodge up a long tear in the polytunnel plastic in Vole tunnel, caused by the wind last week beating the skin to hard against one of the ribs, pulling the plastic apart over it. The tension on the skin is too tight to pull the sides back together again to meet though; so I had to make do with cutting up some spare plastic and patching it over the top, sticking it all together with polytunnel repair tape. Hopefully it’ll help the skin last for another year or two anyway – I don’t want to have to reskin tunnels any sooner than I have to! Mending tunnels over the hoops is such a pain – I have no way of reaching over the bending ribs to get to the top, so have to do it from the inside. It’s also extra hard work when you’re on your own, and have no pressure on the other side to push the tape against. Hopefully however I will soon have an assistant grower/trainee for a day a week, starting in April. I’m going to be advertising the position soon, probably in conjunction with my friends at Purton House Organics, who also want a trainee for 4 days a week, so it could work out well. Check out the latest trainee and apprenticeship positions here.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s